To be honest it wasn't too difficult to switch to being heart healthy since I was already making the switch to a healthier lifestyle. The tough part for me is that when I was just being healthy I could eat different foods and I didn't have to worry too much about all the contents of the food I was taking into my body, and I would every now and then have a bad day that I wouldn't worry too much about. It is hard to be healthy everyday. Another thing that I am kind of grateful for is that I actually enjoy healthy food. I've always liked it and find it just as tasty as some foods.
Some things that I have found that are good for your heart that you can find on campus is a salad, and instead of getting regular lettuce try the spinach, it is just as good (I think) and it is better for your heart. There are sandwiches you can get in Woodworth that you can have them make and put the toppings you want on it. A turkey sandwich is a good substitution for the artery clogging cheeseburger, or you can get a grilled chicken sandwich, not the chicken with the breading. Also for mornings try getting oatmeal or a granola bar that has whole grains in it; when you are buying a granola bar you should look at the contents because some just aren't as healthy as they say. It is actually good for you to snack in between meals and have a smaller meal instead of three big meals. A good snack food is always fruit, but oranges are some of the healthiest for your heart.
I have been exercising daily, and it really helps that we have a Fitness Room just down the hall from my dorm. I have been running everyday and found out that I kind of enjoy it. I have never really been the runner, and I have always hated it whenever I had to do it for gym class or for two-a-day practices. I'm a swimmer to say the least, and I would love to go to the pool and swim sometime. But I am finding it difficult to get to the pool with my schedule. Now that I have actually found out that I can enjoy running, me and my friend have decided to run a 5K in March. There is actually one that's here in Muncie on March 17th, and my friend goes to Anderson so she isn't too far. So I'm not just running to be heart healthy I am starting to train for my first running race ever. I would like to think this is an improvement from my hatred of running to signing up to run in a 5K.
Some things that I have found that are good for your heart that you can find on campus is a salad, and instead of getting regular lettuce try the spinach, it is just as good (I think) and it is better for your heart. There are sandwiches you can get in Woodworth that you can have them make and put the toppings you want on it. A turkey sandwich is a good substitution for the artery clogging cheeseburger, or you can get a grilled chicken sandwich, not the chicken with the breading. Also for mornings try getting oatmeal or a granola bar that has whole grains in it; when you are buying a granola bar you should look at the contents because some just aren't as healthy as they say. It is actually good for you to snack in between meals and have a smaller meal instead of three big meals. A good snack food is always fruit, but oranges are some of the healthiest for your heart.
I have been exercising daily, and it really helps that we have a Fitness Room just down the hall from my dorm. I have been running everyday and found out that I kind of enjoy it. I have never really been the runner, and I have always hated it whenever I had to do it for gym class or for two-a-day practices. I'm a swimmer to say the least, and I would love to go to the pool and swim sometime. But I am finding it difficult to get to the pool with my schedule. Now that I have actually found out that I can enjoy running, me and my friend have decided to run a 5K in March. There is actually one that's here in Muncie on March 17th, and my friend goes to Anderson so she isn't too far. So I'm not just running to be heart healthy I am starting to train for my first running race ever. I would like to think this is an improvement from my hatred of running to signing up to run in a 5K.
No comments:
Post a Comment